SANNE Connect: #1 - The alternative funds issue
A warm welcome to this first issue of Connect, SANNE’s regular technical bulletin aimed at fund managers, their advisers and investors.
As the english-speaking world marks the 400th anniversary of our greatest playwright, how might Shakespeare have viewed recent trends in the funds world?
The winter of AIFMD discontent has for the most part now passed. While the EuVECA regulation intended to lighten the regulatory burden on venture capital turned out to be an “ill-favoured thing” – on the evidence of the few firms that have adopted it – the BVCA’s Gurpreet Manku reports in this edition on the European Commission’s efforts to develop a Capital Markets Union (“CMU”) with less focus on regulation and more on boosting SME growth.
This funds focused issue has a European theme to it and provides readers with the following insights:
- Robert Mellor & Bradley Phillips of PWC explore the new UK rules for carried interest;
- Ben Carey-Smith from our Real Estate division looks at the impact of Brexit on commercial property;
- Duncan Woollard of Paul Hastings discusses Private debt funds - current trends and issues;
- Martin Schnaier and Peter O'Leary from our Debt division examine peer-to-peer lending platforms as a new investment focus for institutions; and
- Gurpreet Manku of the BVCA looks at the Capital Markets Union and the venture capital and private equity industry.